Sunday, January 18, 2009

Where Have You Been All My Life, Clive Barker?

Just a quick note to say that I'm currently reading Clive Barker's Books of Blood (vol. 1-3)...for the first time.

I know, I know: What horror junkie worth his salt didn't get his hands on Mr. Barker at the earliest possible age? Me. And why did it take so long? Short answer: I don't know. It's just one of those things. But I'll tell you, I'm glad his name popped into my head last month when I walked into Borders with a 20%-off coupon in hand. I'm nearly finished with the book, and I can't put it down. I've never read anything so vile, so horrific, and yet vastly lyrical and eloquent at the same time. Barker's work makes Stephen King's novels look like third-grade readers.

I'll come back with more thoughts once I've completed the book. Oh, and Volume 4 and The Hellbound Heart are both on the nightstand, waiting to be opened.

Ready to be ridiculed...

No comments: